A Workshop by Wesley Fryer
Last updated Saturday, June 11, 2005
www.wtvi.com/teks/integrate/writing | June05 Blogs
Technology integration when it comes to writing is often thought of as just using a word processor to create a final draft, but it can and should be so much more! This hands-on session will focus on tools to use for effective prewriting, including Inspiration and MS Word. Novel ways for student writing and journaling, including "web blogging," will also be explored. All participants will start their own web blog, and alternate means for sharing student writing with others will be explored including email exchanges and student website showcases.
Results from 13 June 05 Workshop
Products from 11 June 04 Workshop
An animated history of books! (From the BBC) www.bbc.co.uk/arts/books/historyofbooks/ (this website is apparently down temporarily or is being moved)
1. Be Authentic
2. Be Real World
3. Output as well as Input
4. Value Process as well as Product
5. Honor role/power of Images / Visualization
6. Learning: Experiential and Social
7. Inspire Creativity
8. Offer Choice
9. Be Passionate about Writing
10. Have Fun!
Inspiration Software: www.inspiration.com (Free open/source alternative: IHMC CmapTools - http://cmap.ihmc.us/)
- Inspiration Quickstart (3 pages)
- Tutorial from Inspiration.com (36 pages)
- "All About Me" Inspiration Sample Activity
- Inspiration Classroom Use Examples
5 Steps to Get Creative! (From the BBC Blast Website) - www.bbc.co.uk/blast/fivesteps/
See step 10 on page 3 of the Inspiration Quickstart.
Search Engine Brainstorm
Research template files:
- Nettrekker: www.nettrekker.com (subscription-based)
- Questia: www.questia.com (subscription-based)
- Middle School Links
- Links for Elective Teachers
- Free beta Wiki-Tool: www.jot.com
- Free open-source Wiki Software: http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/
- Example 1: Student Cell Phone Use and Other Technology Concerns for Schools - http://edlaw.jot.com
- Example 2: Dominican Republic Workshop Wiki - http://oym.jot.com
2004 Word of the Year? "Blog!" - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4059291.stm
Blogs in Action by Alan November: http://www.novemberlearning.com/blogs/alannovember/articles/blogsinaction.aspx
Weblogged-ed: the read/write web in the classroom: www.weblogg-ed.com
- Will Richardson's Blogging in Education Video: www.weblogg-ed.com/weblogs_in_ed_video
- RSS Quick Start Guide for Education: www.weblogg-ed.com/rss_for_ed
Wesley's Weblog Index: www.wesfryer.com/blog
- Wesley's Tools for the TEKS Updates: http://bloglines.com/blog/wfryer
- Wesley's Thoughts, Reflections & Epiphanies: http://www.wesfryer.com/blog/B106757942/index.html
- TTU Class Notes: http://www.wesfryer.com/blog/classnotes/B1055519549/index.html
- TTU COE Technology Q&A: http://coetechfaq.blogspot.com
Blogger Setup Tips:
- Write down your username and password on the the last page!
- Write down your Blog address (URL) on the last page!
- You can always change your template later.
Blogger QuickStart Tips:
- To return to Blogger, visit www.blogger.com and log in.
- Do NOT click "remember me" on a computer other people have access to with the same login you are using.
- From your DASHBOARD click on the name of your blog to view editing options. (Do NOT click "CREATE A BLOG" each time you log in.)
- Click EDIT beside a message you want to edit or change.
- Click DELETE on the far right side of a post's entry to delete it.
- Click CREATE NEW POST to create a new message on your blog.
- Click PUBLISH POST after you are finished.
- Set preferred commenting preferences. (ANONYMOUS commenting is discouraged)
- Click SETTINGS - MEMBERS to send email inviting others (like grade level teacher team members) to post to your blog.
- Bloglines advanced search: http://bloglines.com/advsearch
- Wesley's Blogline Feeds: http://bloglines.com/public/wfryer
Social Bookmarks: http://del.icio.us
- Wesley's Social Bookmarks: http://del.icio.us/wfryer
Articles / Resources on Blogging
- Successful and Safe Educational Blogging - www.wtvi.com/teks/04_05_articles/educational_blogging.html
- Education Web Logs by Carol Holzberg
- Educational Blogger's Network: www.ebn.weblogger.com
- The Bay Area Writing Project: www.bayareawritingproject.org
Landmark Project Citation Builder: http://citationmachine.net
Suggestions for Works Cited: Grades 1-6 - http://nausetschools.org/research/works2.htm
Internet Citation Guides from the University of Wisconsin-Madison: http://memorial.library.wisc.edu/citing.htm
Writenote: www.writenote.com - Web based service for conducting and collecting digital research.
Judi Harris defines "Interpersonal Exchanges" as
those activities in which individuals communicate electronically with other individuals, individuals communicate with groups or groups communicate with other groups. Interpersonal Exchanges include: keypals, global classrooms, electronic appearances, telementoring, question-and-answer activities, and impersonations.
Samples of Interpersonal Exchanges are available: http://virtual-architecture.wm.edu/Telecollaboration/interpersonalexchange.html
Online Safety is Vital: Students disclose more online than they should / is safe
- Blogging 'a paedophile's dream' - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/scotland/4209801.stm
- Picture Phones and Students' Privacy - www.detnews.com/2004/schools/0402/26/a01-75419.htm
- GetNetWise - www.getnetwise.org
- Resources on Addressing Cyberbullying (from Canada) - www.cyberbullying.ca
Addressing Digital Dishonesty
- Google's "exact phrase" advanced search is a superb tool for checking for plagiarism: www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
- Turnitin.com is a superb, subscription-based tool for "developing writing quality and research skills." Click "New to Turnitin."
- More resources are available on my "Technology Integration and Digital Dishonesty Workshop Resources:" www.digitaldishonesty.org/workshop_jan03/
Rubrics are essential to help both communicate teacher expectations about an assignment, as well as place tangible value on the process as well as the products involved instudent writing.
Rubistar is an excellent online Rubric tool: http://rubistar.4teachers.org
Kathy Schrock's Guide to Assessment Rubrics is also fantastic: http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/assess.html
Tools for the TEKS home
| Article Archive | Technology
Mailing List | Feedback | Tools and Techniques | Technology Idea Exchange
Contact me using this webform.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.